QuickBooks desktop can show that it is unrecoverable while you are using it due to several reasons which include incomplete or faulty installation of QuickBooks and/or Windows. The QuickBooks unrecoverable error can also be a result of data damage or other system issues. Encountering an unrecoverable error message on your QuickBooks screen can be extremely frustrating. Because with this error showing on your device, you won’t be able to access QuickBooks and thus, all your important accounting works will get hampered. If you are a QuickBooks user and facing this unrecoverable error on it, then you need to go through this article thoroughly. Here, in this article, we have provided the solutions to this QuickBooks unrecoverable error, and after going through them you should be able to resolve the issue by yourself.
Reasons behind QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
QuickBooks unrecoverable error can pop up on your screen while performing regular tasks such as creating a backup or even creating a sample file. Some common instances where QuickBooks can show this unrecoverable error are:
- Opening a company file
- Closing a company file
- Creating a portable file
- Creating a backup
- Saving a transaction, and many more
Whatever the situation the error shows up, the fixes mentioned below are quite simple and straightforward, and applying them can resolve this issue in no time. So, let’s learn them:
How to Fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error?
To fix the Unrecoverable error on your QuickBooks desktop, you need to follow the solutions mentioned below. You may not have to try all of them. Just work your way through the list of solutions given, and find the solution that works best for you. Here they are:
Solution 1: Prevent QuickBooks from opening all the windows at the startup
- Press the Alt key from your keyboard while double-clicking the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- Release the Alt key and enter your password in the prompt that appears. Click OK.
- Wait for the application to launch, and when it does, press the Alt key again.
- Next, once the file opens, release the Alt key.
Note: Once the file opens, remember to click on Close All Windows before you exit.
Solution 2: Try to open a sample file
The above procedure in most cases resolves the QuickBooks unrecoverable error code. However, if you are still facing problems with opening your company file, you can try to fix that by trying to open a sample file. If you are able to open the sample file, then the company file that is showing the error is most probably damaged. Follow these steps to open a sample file:
- Press the Ctrl key from your keyboard while you double-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Continue to press the Ctrl file until the application shows a message reading ‘No Company Open’
- Next, click on ‘Open a sample File’
- Now, select from the list of sample files, and open one of them.
- If any prompts appear asking you to update/restore the application, click on Yes and perform the necessary update or restore.
Solution 3: Copy the file to your desktop
Sometimes, the storage location can have some issues with it. It’s possible that that storage location exceeds the path limitations of QuickBooks. In that case, you need to copy the QuickBooks file onto your desktop and try to open it from there. Follow these steps to perform the operation:
- Open the folder containing the Company file.
- Locate the QBW file, and then Copy and paste it on your Desktop.
- Press the Ctrl key from your keyboard while you double-click the QuickBooks icon to launch it.
- Continue holding the Ctrl key until ‘No Company Open’ is displayed.
- Click Open, and browse to the Desktop location of your QuickBooks file.
- Now, open the file to check if it opens at all.
If the file opens in this procedure, then as mentioned, something was wrong with the storage location. If however, the file doesn’t open, then the file itself is probably corrupted.
Solution 4: Run Reboot.bat file
When you run the Reboot.bat file, it re-registers the .dll and .ocx files related to QuickBooks to your Windows PC. Follow these steps:
- Quit QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the QuickBooks icon on your desktop, and select Properties.
- Click on Open File Location.
- Look for the reboot.bat file, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator.
- A Command Prompt window will now run the reboot.bat file. Make sure you do not close the window manually. It will automatically close once the process completes.
Now, check if the Unrecoverable error is resolved.
Note: The reboot.bat file may be stored in your PC as simply ‘reboot’ based on your Folder Option Settings.
Solution 5: Update QuickBooks
Sometimes, updating QuickBooks may resolve a lot of issues, including this Unrecoverable error. So, its worth a mention here. These are the steps to follow to update QuickBooks:
- Press the Ctrl key while you open QuickBooks.
- Click on Help> Update QuickBooks.
- Click Update Now.
- Select New Features.
- Click on Get Updates.
- Exit QuickBooks once the update completes.
These are the methods to fix Unrecoverable error on QuickBooks. Hope, after going through the solutions and applying them accordingly, you can resolve the error by yourself.