QuickBooks is very useful accounting software with various remarkable features. It is widely used for small and medium scale business purposes. One of its main features is the use of cloud platforms for maintaining accounting records throughout the organization. However, you need to download and install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to use this feature.
Once installed and configured, you will be able to share the data file with all the other computers on the network. Moreover, you will be able to look at multi-user usage over the network as well.
5 Steps to Download and Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The QuickBooks database server manager is an essential software to allow cloud networking and file-sharing within an organization. This can be done in a few easy steps. Thus, go through the following steps one by one.
Step 1 – Download and Installation Process
Incidentally, QuickBooks Database server manager is already included in the QuickBooks application. However, if you haven’t selected it during installation, you have to start again.
Make sure that you’re installing the software on the host computer. Thus, go through the instructions in the following section.
- Open any browser and go to the official website of QuickBooks. Find and download the latest version of QuickBooks desktop application.
- Next, run the downloaded file as an Administrator. Follow the instructions as shown on the screen.
- Thereafter, choose Custom or Network options in Installation type. Carry on with the installation procedure.
- Now, you will be presented with two further options. Choose the first option and continue with the installation.
- I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- I’ll not be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer
- Lastly, go through the rest of the instructions and complete the installation process.
Step 2 – Turn on File Hosting
After that, you need to enable File Hosting to allow other users to access the company file. You can do this by following the instructions below.
- Close all the other applications and launch the QuickBooks desktop application. Click on the File menu and head over to Utilities.
- Next, select Multi-User Access and enable it.
- Thereafter, save your settings and close the application.
Step 3 – Share Company folder
Now, you have to enable the sharing options for your company folder. Therefore, follow the steps prescribed below.
- Press the Windows logo button along with the letter E. Thereafter, navigate to the directory where your company folder is stored.
- Next, right-click on the company folder and select Properties. Head over to the Sharing tab and select ‘Share this Folder’.
- Here, go to the Security tab and click on Permission. Now, you will be able to set permission usage for various users on the network. After that, save your settings and exit from the window.
Step 4 – Configure the Firewall or Antivirus
Next, you need to configure the firewall or Antivirus to allow users to connect to the host computer. Thus, go through the steps below.
- Press the Windows logo button on the keyboard to bring up the Start menu. Click on the text bar and type ‘firewall’.
- Next, navigate to the Advanced Settings. Now, right-click on Inbound rules and select ‘New Rule’ from the list of options.
- Thereafter, click on Select Port and then on Next. Choose the TCP option and click on Special local ports.
- Here, you need to enter the following port information.
- QuickBooks 2017 – 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks 2018 – 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
Note: In the case of QuickBooks 2019 and 2020 versions, they use dynamic port numbers. Therefore, you need to get that information separately.
Hence, launch the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and go to Port Monitor. Click on QuickBooks version and you will see the Port number. Note down this number and enter it in the Firewall Special local port.
- After entering the port numbers, click on Next and select ‘Allow connection’. Finally, click on Create Rule and give it a name. Save the settings and close the application.
Step 5 – Provide Admin Privileges
Lastly, you need to provide Admin privileges to the QuickBooks application. This will allow the application to perform read and write operations with the company file. You can do this by going through the following instructions:
- Close all the QuickBooks application and end it from the Task Manager as well.
- Next, navigate to the QuickBooks desktop application on the desktop or from the Start menu.
- Right-click on the application and click on Properties. After that, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Here, you need to check the option for ‘Run as Administrator’. Click on ‘Yes’ if prompted to do so.
- Finally, save the changes and close the Properties window. Now, your QuickBooks Database Server Manager is fully configured and ready for use.
Quick Jump: How to install Quickbooks Diagnostic tool?
How to Update the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager gets automatically updated with the QuickBooks desktop application. Thus, it is important to keep it up-to-date. You can do this by following the steps provided below.
- Close all the applications and launch the QuickBooks desktop application. From the main window, press the F2 button on the keyboard. Alternatively, you can press the Ctrl button along with the number ‘1’.
- Here, click on Check current version and check if it is the latest version or not. Subsequently, go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks.
- Next, click on Update Now and choose ‘Get Updates’. The latest version will be automatically downloaded and installed.
Relaunch the application to enjoy the latest features. Thereafter, make sure that you have followed all the steps correctly. Any mistake will prevent the files from being shared.
You can temporarily disable the antivirus or Firewall settings if other computers are unable to access the data files. Accordingly, make sure that you have set the permissions for the connected computers.