QuickBooks is a business-friendly software program which is used to keep track of the transactions made by a company and to manage its expenses and sales. One of the major reasons why people around the world use QuickBooks is Payroll. It helps in the salary payment process of the employees without any difficulties and is ideal for small or medium-sized businesses. Sometimes, users report that they can’t open a particular company file using QuickBooks. The main reason behind this problem is nothing but the QuickBooks error ps033. This error doesn’t allow you to update the latest version of Payroll and also you can’t access any of the files of Payroll.
Error message accompanying QuickBooks error code ps033
If Error ps033 strikes, then an error message will appear on the screen which indicates that there is a problem in Payroll. You may see an error message like this:-
“The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a ready-only file.”
Or, you may see this message as well:
“QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. Click OK to go online and re-install the files. [PS033]”.
General Causes of QuickBooks error ps033
Error ps033 mostly strikes if any corrupted file is present in the CPS folder. So, when you encounter this error, just find the cause behind it. It will help you to resolve this issue faster. The general reasons for this issue are:
- If you don’t activate the Payroll subscription.
- Damaged QuickBooks Desktop file ‘ini’.
- An old version of QuickBooks.
- If there is more than one active payroll in the inactive Direct Deposit agreement, then it can arise the error ps033.
- Incorrect Service key.
- Corrupted QuickBooks data.
- Invalid or wrong Employer Identification Number.
- Corrupted files in the CPS folder.
- Invalid or wrong company file PSID.
- When QuickBooks Desktop is not compatible with the Windows version.
- Quickbooks may not be in proper use or some payment related issue can also be the reason for this error.
- Payroll is not installed properly.
- Poor internet connection during the time of using Payrolls may cause this error.
Some easy hacks to resolve QuickBooks error ps033 in a minute
If this error strikes, there is a chance of losing the data or information from QuickBooks. Lose of data is a nightmare for the users. So, when this error code occurs, don’t waste your time worrying. Just follow the easy hacks mentioned below to resolve this error ps033 in no time.
Hack #1: Update Payroll
This is the easiest hack to get rid of this issue. Sometimes the old version of Payroll feature causes this troublesome. So, at first, you can try this method to download the latest Tax tables. To update it. just try these instructions one by one.
- First, go to Employees. Select ‘Get Payroll Updates’.
- Now, click on ‘Download entire Payroll update’.
- Go for Update. It will take several minutes to update.
- Wait for sometime and check whether you still face this problem or not.
Hack #2: Rename the CPS folder
Most of the times, the problem is gone if you rename the CPS folder. So it’s a worth try. Just follow these instructions one by one.
- First, go to the following destination
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20nn\Components\Payroll
- Find the CPS folder in Payroll folder.
- Now, change the name of the CPS folder. Rename it as ‘CPSOLD’.
- After changing its name, you have to update the Tax tables.
Hack #3: Disable UAC
UAC stands for User Account Control. Disabling UAC is another method to resolve this issue.
Just follow these steps.
- First, restart your device.
- Open the QuickBooks software. Check if any update is available or not for the QuickBooks. If you find any updates, don’t wait. Download the update and install the latest version of it.
- After installing, reset the QuickBooks payroll updates.
- Wait for sometime, and then turn off the User Account Control.
- Now, you have to troubleshoot QuickBooks. It will take several minutes to finish.
- Wait for completing this process. After that, turn on UAC.
Check whether your problem is gone or not. If not, don’t panic. Just follow the next method which may be helpful for you.
Hack #4: Restart the System in Safe mode
This is the last option left for you. This too is a helpful hack which solves this error ps033 issue in minutes. Many people get benefitted from this hack, so you too can try this method. If you can’t do it by yourself, follow these steps one by one.
- Run a ‘ Verify and Rebuilt Data’ in the QuickBooks app.
- Now, Update the QuickBooks.
- After updating, restart it in safe mode.
- Then, update the payroll tax table.
- Wait for some time, and then restart your computer.
After restarting, check if the problem is still bothering you or not.
You have to remember that you have to keep a backup before trying these methods. All the above methods are tried and tested by our experts. So, you can perform these steps without any doubts on your mind, to get rid of QuickBooks error ps033.